For a number of years, I’ve had a personal blog that for the last 2 or 3 years has been pretty much dormant. A few years ago, I found a deal for a VPS instance for $5/month and decided to host my blog there using WordPress. One of the nice feature of this particular VPS setup is that it has good IPv6 connectivity, so I registered the IPv6 address in DNS. I use fail2ban to protect ssh against brute forcing, but I wanted to also protect my WordPress site, so I configured it to log all authentication attempts so that I could have fail2ban watch that log. For much of the last year, I’ve noticed something really odd. The vast majority of attempts against my WordPress site have come over IPv6. Here is a typical summary from the log (thank you logwatch, note, the IPs have NOT been changed to protect the guilty).