In my previous diary, I mentioned a recent case that led me to write mac-robber.py. In that case, I mentioned that I needed to build a filesystem timeline and wanted to collect hashes because I suspected there were multiple copies of some possible malware scattered around the disk. The biggest issue I had was that hashing the files requires reading them which would update the access times, something I really did not want to do. So, I decided to use a trick on a live system that I had employed occasionally in the past when I got a tar file rather than a disk image of, say, a directory from a SAN or NAS. For those of you who aren’t aware, on Linux, you can use the mount command to essentially link a directory to another location in the directory tree. In the screenshot below, you can see the results of df -h and mount on one of my test VMs.